Sunday 15 May 2011

3D Home Cinema Resources - Different types: Shutter, Linear and Circular Polarization

This article is an extract taken from my Home Cinema Build
Finding useful relevant guides and equipment links has been fairly difficult. I have spent numerous hours expanding my understanding of 3D technology and would like to share the articles and websites with you. 

3d Projection - Different types: Shutter, Linear and Circular Polarization

Three dimensional movie rendition and gaming is becoming the new ultimate upgrade in commercial and home cinemas.
The most common iteration of 3d in the home is by using shutter glasses as new tv's and projectors can now support 120hz.

I have come across a large number of sites while researching building my own 3d home cinema system. I won't attempt to explain all I understand and some of which I don't about 3d projection. There is no use in "re-inventing the wheel" as some others have explained it better than I will be able to. If you would like to learn more please read these following links.

Useful Learning Resources:
  • http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/3d-polarized-projector,2589.html 
    A complete start to finish article on 3d polarized lens projector setup. Excellent read.
    Article centered on 3d Computer gaming but can be applied to 3d movies also using a Personal Computer as the source (No need for external 3d Demultiplexer or video processing).
  • http://www.scec.org/geowall/index.html 
    An older article but still an excellent reference.  An extremely well documented journey to achieve 3d with dual projectors and polarizing filters. (2002)

Shutter glasses, shutter processors, 3D Demultiplexer, 3D computer software

Polarizers (Circular, linear)

Further Resources 

After much research I have definitely learnt plenty and am left  undecided with which route I will be embarking on.
Shutter glasses with a VIP 3d processor from Consigna is the easiest and cheapest manner to take 3d content (be that bluray or computer) from HDMI 1.4 output and make it usable on a HDMI1.3/DVI projector. As my PJ is only 85 frames it will not be as good as a 120hz 3d "ready" (capable) projector. The positive I must point out of shutter systems is the fact that if you are using say an anamorphic lens in 2.35:1 for true cinema wide screen then this is the way to go without having to purchase dual lenses, dual projectors so forth. I also must remind you that shutter glasses with a single PJ cut down 50% of the light output that you see (as half the time each eye is closed).

On the contrary I must preffer a polarizer setup with dual projectors but the price is substantial.
A hardware 3d Demultiplexer is required (if not using a computer). Dual projectors, Polarizer projector filters, A Projector stacker and all required cabling, A 3d (eg PS3 for bluray and 3d gaming) and lastly a polarizing compatible screen as the normal screens (specially high gain) do not bounce back the correct polarization 100% so a specific one needs to be purchased.

 A mis conception I must point out is that you need to have a DLP projector, this is true in most cases but not all. I have linked above SilverFabric filters and specific filters by them are made for LCD also!

I am on the constant lookout for another Optoma EP749 projector as you require identical PJ's.
So for the time being I will keep my finger on the pulse and watching for the technology to mature somwhat.
Fincancially I don't have the cash flow to lump all the money into a project like this all at once. So I will be slowly acquiring equipment and hopefully soon have a system together, I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment